- 1951 - 1966 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
This chronological series contains the messages sent by the SG liaison secretariat (in London then in Paris) to the SG (in Washington) and later to the Military Committee (MC).
LOSTAN messages were often requests for SG positions. The SG replied by means of STAND messages via its secretariat.
LOSTAN messages covered the whole range of International Staff (IS), International Military Staff (IMS) and Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) activities.
They were produced from July 1951 to July 1966.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
LOSTAN messages gave an overview of the issues dealt with by the North Atlantic Council (NAC), the civil committees and the International Staff (IS) which the SG representative considered should be passed on and explained to the military authorities based in Washington.
They provided details on the work performed by the Liaison Office representative for that purpose:
- reports on meetings attended by the SG representative in Europe (including private Council meetings),
- conversations between the SG representative and the Secretary General and other senior representatives from the IS and the IMS,
- decisions taken by the Council and civil committees which were relevant for the military authorities,
- action taken by the SG representative to make the views of the military authorities known,
- arrangements for travel and meetings,
- requirements of the liaison office in terms of personnel and facilities
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
LOSTAN documents are messages which are arranged in numerical order. Their reference is the acronym followed by a publication number (LOSTAN-2545).
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
NATO publicly disclosed information is available for research and education purposes. Any commercial use requires the written permission of NATO. Please credit the NATO Archives should any documents be used for publication. Guidelines for the proper citation of NATO publicly disclosed information can be found on the NATO Archives website (http://www.nato.int/archives).
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
LOSTAN documents were issued in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
For more information, see also the following notices:
- Memoranda from the Standing Group Liaison Offices in London and Paris (LOM, LBSG and SGLP)