- 1951 - 1965 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
RECORD-SG/SC documents were records of meetings organized by the SG/SC Director. The role of the Standing Group Steering Committee (SG/SC) was to assist the Director of the Standing Committee (hereinafter referred to as SG). The SG/SC started off as an ad hoc group. It became a committee on 28 June 1951, according to document RECORD-SG/SC-002 entitled "second SG/SC meeting". There is no document which officially approved the creation and terms of reference of the SG/SC. The SG/SC meetings were held at the SG headquarters, in the SG conference room at the Pentagon. They were attended by: -a Chairman (SG Director until 1961, then rotating chairmanship between the three SG nations),- senior SG representatives or their deputies,-the SG Secretary, SACEUR,-guests (depending on the agenda),-the representative of the SG Liaison Office was sometimes invited as an observer. At the meetings: •the SG Director informed attendees about the SG's latest decisions, but also about issues to be solved, •the three SG international working teams (France, UK and US) took note of those issues and produced roadmaps for the Military Representatives Committee (MRC). The RECORD-SG/SC chronological series was closed on 2 March 1965 (RECORD-SG/SC-574).
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
RECORD-SG/SC documents were records of meetings organized by the SG/SC Director. They presented discussions and decisions relating to the following topics:
• supervision of the organization and work of the IWTs and updates to the SG about the results,
• suggestions - if and when necessary - for a new SG, MRC or Military Committee (MC) meeting, drafting of agendas and their despatch to the SG secretariat,
• proposals to improve the administrative management of the SG structure,
• consideration and approval of the terms of reference and the creation of new SG technical and consultative committees,
• revision - on instructions from the SG - of the terms of reference of the SG liaison office (in London or Paris) as required,
• activity reports to be requested from SHAPE and the technical and consultative committees and analysed.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
RECORD-SG documents relating to formal meetings have a reference: the acronym followed by the number of the meeting (e.g. Steering Committee-2nd meeting, or Record-SC 563).
RECORD-SG/SC documents relating to informal or special meetings have no reference.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
NATO publicly disclosed information is available for research and education purposes. Any commercial use requires the written permission of NATO. Please credit the NATO Archives should any documents be used for publication. Guidelines for the proper citation of NATO publicly disclosed information can be found on the NATO Archives website (http://www.nato.int/archives).
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
RECORD-SG/SG documents were issued in English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
For more information, see also the SG and DSGM notices