Public Diplomacy Division (PDD)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Public Diplomacy Division (PDD)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

2003

History

The NATO Information Service (alternately referred to as the Information Division and the Information Directorate, depending on its hierarchical position within the Organization at a given moment) was principally tasked with informing public opinion about the aims and achievements of the Atlantic Alliance. It assisted Member governments with collecting and developing information programmes about NATO activities and policies for distribution to publicity outlets through various communication media. The Information Service was also responsible for outreach tasks such as coordinating and supervising all press arrangements for Council meetings, arranging group visits to NATO HQ andorganizing conferences, special courses and seminars on NATO matters. It provided administrative support for all NATO activities, meetings and committees related to information.The origins of the NATO Information Service are found in Council Resolution No. 4/7 of 18 May 1950 (D-4/15 Final), whereby the North Atlantic Treaty Council resolved to ‘promote and coordinate public information in furtherance of the objectives of the Treaty while leaving responsibility for national programmes to each country’. By August 1950, the creation of an Information Service was approved (D-D/17 Revised), followed shortly thereafter by the appointment of a Director of Information (D-R/20), who was immediately tasked with recruiting an Information Service staff (D-D/186) and establishing its terms of reference (D-D/187).The Information Service was initially structured into sections that operationalized its main functions: Press Relations; Editorial; Special Media (film, television, radio, photography, exhibits) and Research ISM(53)30). In 1957, the Information Service was reorganized to become the Information Division in order to focus specifically on long-term information projects: Public Relations and Special Media;programmes and Publications; and Regional Relations (the coordination of youth activities was added in 1959). This reorganization also resulted in the creation of a separate Press Service to deal specificallywith daily press relations and the documentation function (PO(57)859). Though the Information Division and the Press Service worked in parallel, they were considered separate units that were both under the responsibility of the Assistant Secretary General of Political Affairs.A major internal reorganization of the Information Division in 1963 led to a substantial shift in the structure of its operations (BC-D(63)20). The documentation function of the Press Service and the cultural affairs function of the Political Division (which comprised the NATO Fellowship and Scholarship programme and the Visiting Professorship programme) were transferred to the newly renamed Information Directorate, which was split into two major sections that distinguished its functions with respect to production and promotion: Media Operations and Public Affairs.The significant restructuring of the International Staff that accompanied the move to Brussels in 1967 gave rise to the creation of a newly amalgamated Division of Political Affairs, Information and Press (PO(67)122). A reorganization of the Information Directorate followed in 1969 (BC-D(69)45), leading to a configuration of three main sections in an effort to achieve a more logical distribution of work: Information Policy, Research and Writing; Media Production; and External Affairs and Regional Relations. In 1981, the Information Directorate became responsible for its own planning and budget administration (ON(81)58).The Information Directorate merged with the Press Service in 1990 to become the new Office of Information and Press (OIP) (PO(90)93). The OIP was originally structured into two main services: a Press and Media Service and an Information Service, which was subdivided into three sections: Planning, Editorial and Budget; Audiovisual Productions; and External Relations. By 2001, an increased emphasis on new outreach approaches led to an expansion of the External Relations Section to take the Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council and the Partnership for Peace (PfP) programmes into account. Particular attention was placed on NATO’s special bilateral relationship with Russia and its partnership withUkraine, as evidenced by the establishment of information field offices in Kyiv (opened in May 1997) and in Moscow (opened in February 2001). The NATO HQ reforms of 2003 (SG(2003)0429) gave rise to an extensive restructuring of the International Staff, as part of which the OIP was merged with the Scientific and Environmental Affairs Division to produce the new Public Diplomacy Division (PDD).

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

PDD

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes